Last Updated: Aug 20, 2014
- Home: What is Second Life, Get Started in SL
- System Requirements: Optimizing Performance, Viewers
- Basic Functions: Communicate, Landmarks, Move Tools, Open a Box, View Tools
- Advanced Functions: Appearance, Animation, Organize Inventory, Photography, Profiles, Share Inventory, Voice
- Explore SL: Destination Guide, Groups, Make Friends, Social Events, Notecards, World Map, Hunts
- Useful Links: Building, Economy, Glossary, Griefers, Knowledge Base, Land
This guide is optimized for the Second Life Viewer and also for PC.
Second Life (SL), according to its website, is the "Internet's
largest user created, 3-D virtual world community." It is a place to
"connect, work and explore, to be different, free yourself and your mind". Virtually everything in Second Life is created by users and behind every avatar is a real person. It is not a game, although users can and have created games for Second Life.
- Second Life Quick Start
Register, download the viewer, basic skills and more
- Join Second Life
If you are going to use your own computer, you may want to check the System Requirements
for SL before starting out.
Select an avatar and create your SL account. Make sure you can live with your name because you can't change it although you can edit your display name under your Profile (see Advanced Functions tab). You can change the look of your avatar once you are inworld.
- How to get started with Second Life - video
- Download the Viewer
You need a viewer to connect to SL. If this is for class, your instructor might require you to get a certain one so inquire first. See also System Requirements
>Third Party Viewers.
- Navigate Welcome Island
Once you have an account and login to SL, you are taken to Welcome Island to go through the basics of moving, looking around, and communicating. Orientation Island and the Welcome Area are often crowded and laggy. You might want to go to the Virtual Ability Island (below) to practice your basic skills.
- Preview of Welcome Island - video
Preview your Welcome Island experience before going inworld.
- Gateway to the Faery Crossing
Orientation and help for newcomers to SL. If you already have an SL account, click on the link and click Visit this Location or Teleport to go to this location inworld. Enter the Learning Grove to learn basic skills.
- Virtual Ability Island
If you need more practice learning the basics, Virtual Ability Island has a good orientation to SL. If you already have an SL account, click on the link and click Visit this Location or Teleport to go to this location inworld. Start with basic movements.
- Virtual Ability Island Advanced Tutorials
After basic orientation, you may want to return and try these advanced tutorials. Learn about currency, clothing, profiles, groups, textures and more.
This brief video explores a tiny portion of the possibilities of Second Life.